Friday, May 28, 2010

Holiday Hoorah in a Hurry!

Every time a long weekend comes along, I literally wait until the last minute and then decide that I want to host a cook out, or invite friends over to sit by the pool... why do I do this to myself every time?  I'm convinced it's because I live in New England, in a beach area, and the weather is so very unpredictable... who wants to host a cook out in the rain? 
So of course, when I heard the weather forecast for the next few days I did what I always do... I started thinking about who else might not have plans and would want to come veg out poolside with me on Saturday? 
After making a few calls, now I'm faced with what am I going to feed these people on such short notice?  I'm working tonight, so I don't really have the time to prep a bunch of snacks...
So here's my plan; I will go to the grocery store and stock my cupboards with marinades, sauces for dipping, and other necessary condiments.  On the menu will be the basics- hot dogs, burgers, and grilled veggies... Easy enough to throw together some burgers, and foil up some seasoned veggies and throw them on the grill!
In lieu of having any real time saving tips, I'm offering up some recipes that are super easy, and sure to be a crowd pleaser for your holiday hoe down!

Seasoned Grilled Veggies
*Seasonal veggies work great- I love to use purple onion, red, yellow, and green peppers, summer squash, zucchini, and mushrooms, a clove or two of garlic, and maybe even a few tomatoes!  Sliced up, or chunked into bite sized pieces, and put onto a sheet of tinfoil. I then drizzle the veggies with Italian dressing, a bit of pepper and a touch of salt, bring the ends of the foil together- so it makes a little package... make sure to leave a small air hole for venting, and put it right on the grill for 10-15 mins!

*This also works great with potatoes... but make sure you cook the potatoes as they are a denser veggie!

*Try the same foil method with corn on the cob, but instead of Italian dressing, add butter and shredded Parmesan cheese!

Spiced Up BLT Burgers
I love trying out new recipes when burger meat (you can substitute ground turkey for beef for a different flavor, and a leaner meal!)
This weekend I'm going to be adding a bit of hot sauce, some raw chopped up bacon, and shredded provolone cheese to my ground meat... working all the ingredients together before making up my patties! 
And of course, adding lettuce and tomato to the cooked up meat!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Stacy, nice blog!! you give such great tips!! Thats's all, have a great holiday weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete