Thursday, May 13, 2010

Internet Info Overload!


This morning, I have given myself the delightful task of booking a serious last minute weekend getaway- last minute meaning, I'd like to escape Quincy tomorrow evening around 5, and return Sunday afternoon.

I know that I'd like to stay somewhere in New England, I'm looking for somewhere pet friendly, and with scenic benefits to add to my pleasure. So, I turned to my good friend Google to search for those things.. In no particular order.

WOAH! Information over load in full effect! This B&B has special deals for specific dates & AAA members; another one offered free tickets to a local amusement park; yet another one had a mini bar and fridge in the room (something my traveling partner would be a fan of). So, how do you find the best bargain without getting info overload, and not just settling?

Here's what I did...

1. Put on a double pot of coffee- this is clearly something that is going to take a bit of time, and need my attention.

2. Pull up mapquest and print out a map of desirable locations- this is easy... as long as you know where you'd like to end up... Me, I have 3 maps printed!

3. Get a fresh notebook, or some blank sheets of paper, and get ready to take some notes. Helpful things to record: Name of Inn, or Hotel, Price Rate, Check In/Check Out Time, Special Discounts, Phone Number & Address, nearby attractions, any other misc notes- do you need to request a fridge for medical purposes? Are pets allowed? Do they have continental breakfast, or will you need to budget that into your vacation funds?

4. Now, once you've recorded your information, and narrowed it down, a great tip is to check out what other's are saying about a place before you go there and hope for the best! Sometimes the website will post people's testimony, or you can check out http://www.yelp.com/. It's a public forum, where anyone can post their experience with a business- I love to use it to check out restaurants, and my competition!

5. Also, instead of making your reservations on line, it can be helpful to call the establishment and ask any questions, and see if there are any special activities going on that you should know about- I once went to dinner at a very large waterfront restaurant that was booked by the local American Sign Language School- being one of the only "speaking" tables at the establishment was something I've never done before... and may have thought twice about going had I known about that!


These tips can be used for any type of internet research, just adjust the words a bit to make sense and enjoy surfing the internet waves!

No comments:

Post a Comment