Friday, May 21, 2010

This little piggy went to market...



So, you've gone and made the dreaded trip to the grocery store, and the first thing you do when you get home is just to put everything into the pantry, cabinets, and fridge... Well, here are a few time saver tips for you!  It might take a little more time when you get home, but I promise will save you time after work in preparing for dinner!
Let's start with produce; give them a quick shower, and cut them up depending on how you are going to use them (ex. green beans- cut off the ends, tomatoes- dice up for salads, or slice for sandwiches, etc).  Put them in see through containers that will keep them fresh, easily visible, and ready to munch!
Next up is the fruits; again, give them a quick bath so that you can just reach in the fridge and grab a plum, or handful of grapes on the go!
Moving right along to the meaty part of this project; I get my meats and fish from the deli, so when I get home I divide it into serving sizes and freeze everything.  The night before, or morning of dinner, it's super simple to just pick a bag out of the freezer, and not worry about portion sizes... I can always increase the serving size with another piece!
Keeping cabinets clean and organized is another great tip- when things are accessible and easily seen, you know what you have, and things aren't going to waste, or forgotten!  I try to clear out my cabinets with every season change.
There are times that I venture out to the grocery store without a list, and wind up making all sorts of impulse purchases, mostly because I've forgotten what I have at home, and seeing certain foods make my mouth water (this happens frequently in the ice cream, and fruit section!)... so washing and preparing fresh foods is a necessity for me- it helps me remember what I have at home when I'm thinking "What's for dinner...."  Taking that extra time really is huge for me and I hope it works for you!

http://www.errandsetcetera.biz/
stacym@errandsetcetera.biz

2 comments:

  1. You are so right Stacy. I like to organize my pantry in a way that I see all the labels facing me so I can glance at what I have. Also, items go next to like items. Canned here, pasta there. Saves so much time from digging around for something you don't know what you are gonna find.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Jennifer! Sometimes the most simple things are overlooked!

    ReplyDelete