Thursday, November 4, 2010

25 Hours in a Day

Being an Errand Extraordinaire, I spend (no surprise) a great deal of my time in the car- driving to client's homes, going to the dry cleaners, dropping off packages, picking up library books, hitting the grocery store, and submitting prescriptions, and ordering the perfect centerpiece for a special event. 
One of the biggest challenges I face on a daily basis is something I have in common with my clients- I feel like I am trying to beat the clock.  I want to get all of their errands done in a timely manner, and move on to the next task. 
So here's my secret... prioritize and stay focused.  Yep, it's that simple.  Whether it's for a client, or my own to do list, the first step is to look at everything on the list, and see what needs to be done first- either because it takes the longest, or because it is a priority.  I then go through the rest of the list using the same method of thinking.
When it comes to physically running errands, the best trick I can offer is to visualize a big circle and map your stops out on the circle- try not to backtrack- and make stops in the order that they make sense. For instance, if you know you are going to be gone for at least an hour, you don't want to pick up something that might spoil, or melt if it's going to be sitting in the car for a while, on the same theme, you don't want to drop off your prescription and then sit around waiting for it to be filled.
Staying focused is my second best kept secret.  Once I lose focus, I'm lost in a time warp and it can be hard to get back into the groove.  If you are staying focused and on track it's amazing how much you can get done.  I always have people say things to me about wanting more hours in the day... if they didn't try so hard to multitask, or get caught up in life, they might be surprised how much you really can accomplish in one day.
Another great trick to keep myself motivated is checking off items once they've been completed.  This gives a sense of accomplishment, holds you accountable, and also gives a clear idea about what you were able to do, and what you might need to re-evaluate. 
If it's something that has been on your list for over a week, it might be time to delegate it out, forget it all together, or just get it over with.

Stacy Mafera
703 304 4067
www.ErrandsEtcetera.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment