Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Risky Business

I had the pleasure this afternoon of attending the monthly luncheon held by
The South Shore Women's Business Network, the theme of the day was "Risk."  We were asked what sorts of risks we felt we took in awe of our business, or career paths.  Initially, I had a hard time thinking of something risky I've done in lieu of EE.  I justified this thinking in that I feel EE is destined for success, and there is no risk when you keep your mind on the reward. 
Every time I pick up the phone to call a new or potential client, my stomach knots up, and I think "what if they don't like me?  what if they don't like my services?  what if they think my idea is so genius they go out and try to offer the same thing..." and I'm overwhelmed. 
There's an old saying "Do something everyday that scares you"  pick up the phone scares me; sure it pays the bills, but it scares the hell out of me.  To me, picking up the phone is a risk.  I have a list of people to follow up with, and schedule meetings with; I've been putting off this list for quite sometime.  I've committed myself to calling 2 people every day for the next 7 days.  That's 14 names I can cross off the list. 
Unfortunately, just because it's something I don't like to do, it's not exactly a task I can delegate out... I just have to be a grown up and do it. 
What's a risk or uncomfortable part of your day that you CAN'T delegate out, but would rather do anything else in the world?

www.ErrandsEtcetera.biz
StacyM@errandsetcetera.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment